About the Dudley House

Flexible Arrangements

Tired of the same old banquet room?

Surround Yourself in History

Rental Rates

Back

The Dudley house was completed in 1892 on Lot 4 of the 20 acre Compton Addition. Its dimensions are 40 feet by 65 feet and the lot is 90 feet by 250 feet. The house is of a cross gabled design and a wooden belt course divides each story and extends around the north, west and south elevations. The frame residence has three first-story porches and one second-story porche. It features two brick chimneys, green and gray shingles over the main gable and the half-hipped bisecting roofs.

The single door front entrance opens from a wraparound porch to a foyer. From the foyer a staircase with spindlewood balusters leads to the second floor on the left while to the right of the foyer is the entrance to the parlor. The second floor has four bedrooms, a nursery and an elevated porch. The ground floor has classical examples of double parlors, a side doubled pocketed and glazed entrance, kitchen (modernized for contemporary meetings) and a wood mantled fireplace.

The Queen Anne style architecture was named and popularized by a group of 19th century English architects whose designs were borrowed from later Medieval styles. Primary features included half-timbering and patterned masonry. It was the dominant style of American residential buildings in the period 1890 to 1900. The style decreased in the first decade of the 20th century, supplanted by the styles of the Eclectic Movement with its traditional European styles.

The Coles County Historical Society uses the Dudley House as a museum and meeting center. Some museum artifacts are stored here, including period furniture, art, fixtures, and library. Social and business meetings can be held here with proper arrangements. The ambience of the House makes it an ideal meeting place for small public groups who are willing to make appropriate donations for its maintenance.